Outdoors, pothos can be grown in shade to partial shade. Indoors, pothos prefers bright but indirect light.1 Variegated plants sometimes lose their leaf pattern and revert to all-green plants if they don't get enough light; moving them to brighter conditions usually restores the variegation. Suddenly paler-looking leaves mean the plant is getting too much sun.
Pothos plants thrive in ordinary, well-draining potting soil.1
Pothos like to have their soil dry out completely between waterings. If left continually in damp soil, the roots will rot. Black spots on the leaves and the sudden collapse of the plant indicate the soil has been kept too wet. Let the plant tell you when to water—when it starts to droop, it needs a good drink. However, don’t wait until the leaves start to shrivel or you will lose some leaves. Dry, brown edges mean the plant was kept dry too long.
Temperature and Humidity
Pothos should be kept above 18c, and these plants like the common room temperature of 18 -28c This plant likes high humidity but it is very tolerant and can thrive even where there is low humidity.
Pothos aren’t heavy feeders, but since there are no nutrients in most potting soils, feed monthly to bi-monthly with any balanced fertiliser
Potting and Repotting
Eventually, your pothos will become pot bound. When the leaves droop, no matter how much or often you water them, the roots have probably filled the pot. Carefully lift the plant and check to see if this is the problem. When the plant has reached this stage, you can re-pot in a container one or two sizes larger, filled with fresh potting soil.
Keep the stems trimmed relatively short to keep foliage full along the full stems. If stems grow bare, they can be cut back to the soil level, and new stems will sprout.
This plant is easily propagated simply by taking stem cuttings and rooting them in water or in potting soil. Move cuttings rooted in water into the soil as soon as possible so they can begin getting nutrients.
Toxicity of Pothos
All parts of the pothos plant are poisonous if ingested. Be on alert if you have dogs or cats. The toxicity is due to calcium oxalate crystals, which can irritate the lips, mouth, and tongue. Contact your veterinarian if your pet has chewed on this plant and your doctor or poison control center if eaten by a child or adult.